GoPro launches new HERO9 Black and Million Dollar Challenge
GoPro has just released the newest addition to its camera range, the HERO9 Black, which features a new front-facing display, a larger rear display and an extended battery life. The HERO9 Black also comes with a new sensor that allows for users to take 5K videos and 20 megapixel photographs.
Million Dollar Challenge
For the third year, GoPro has launched its Million Dollar Challenge. This year’s HERO9 Black Challenge asks entrants to submit video clips taken on their HERO9 Black camera that can be used to create the launch highlight real for the HERO9 Black. The winning entrants will be awarded an equal share of $1,000,000 and their entries will be showcased in the HERO9 Black Million Dollar Challenge video in December 2020. You can submit your footage here. Submissions close on Friday, December 4, 2020.
Some notable features of the new HERO9 Black:
- New Image Sensor
- Video: 5K30, 4K60, 2.7K120, 1440p120, 1080p240 and more
- Photo: 20MP
- New 1.4” front color display with live preview and status modes
- Larger 2.27” rear touch display with touch zoom
- 30% more battery life than HERO8 Black
- Removable, rechargeable battery
- HyperSmooth 3.0 with in-camera horizon leveling
- TimeWarp 3.0 featuring Real Speed and Half Speed
- 1080p Live Streaming
- 1080p Webcam mode
- Power Tools: HindSight, LiveBurst, Scheduled Capture
and Duration Capture
- SuperPhoto + HDR Night lapse video
- RAW photos
- Voice control with 14 commands in 11 languages + 6 accents
- 3 microphones with advanced wind-noise reduction
- Built-in folding mounting fingers
- Waterproof to 10 metres
GoPro is also about to release the new Max Lens Mod, which will be available for purchase in October this year.
The Max Lens Mod is designed to be compatible with the Hero9 Black and will set you back $99.99. The Max Lens Mod has been created to deliver video stabilisation, enhanced resolution and to allow for horizon locking even when the camera is rotated.
Other Mods available for purchase that are compatible with the HERO9 Black are the Media Mod for HERO9 Black ($79.99), Display Mod ($79.99) and Light Mod ($49.99).
The new camera is available for purchase for $449.99 or $349.98 when you also purchase a GoPro subscription, a discount which is also available to existing GoPro subscribers.
A GoPro subscription
A subscription will set you back $49.99 for an annual subscription or $4.99/ month.
The key benefits of the GoPro subscription service include unlimited cloud storage of GoPro photos and videos, enhanced live streaming to GoPro.com, access to no-questions-asked camera replacements and discounts on new cameras, mounts and other GoPro accessories.