Canon confirms the EOS R5 will shoot 8K RAW video
Canon's PR machine for the EOS R5 rolls on, with the company confirming the upcoming mirrorless full frame camera will feature some seriously impressive video specs, including some we've never seen in consumer hybrid cameras before.
The headline feature announced this week is the EOS R5 will shoot 8K internal RAW video up to 29.97fps, 4K video at up to 120fps internally, and 4K 60fps externally.
To confirm, that's not just 8K, but 8K RAW, a feature typically reserved for high-end cameras that usually come from companies like ARRI or RED, and that's not even taking into account the the 4K 120p video (internally at 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log no less) that as far as we are aware, no other consumer-level hybrid camera on the market offers.
Canon have also stated that all video options, including 8K modes, will support Dual Pixel CMOS AF.
The new features are in addition to the specs already confirmed:
- 'Advanced' animal AF
- 12fps using the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter offering 20fps
- A newly Canon-developed, in-camera image stabilisation system – which works in combination with the lens stabilisation system
- Automatic transfer of image files from the device to the image.canon cloud platform
- Dual card slots.
What Canon's latest PR does lack is any information on a release date, so for now you'll just have to keep furiously refreshing the Canon.com.au website to find out more. In the meantime, you can read the full press release below.
RAW power of the EOS R5 revealed – Canon releases further specs of “The King.”
Sydney, AUSTRALIA – 21st April 2020: Canon Inc. has today announced further specifications of its highly anticipated EOS R5; the full frame interchangeable lens camera currently in development being built on Canon’s revolutionary EOS R System. Set to redefine the mirrorless category, today’s update confirms the incredible recording capabilities of the EOS R5 including internal 8K RAW up to 29.97fps and suitability with high-end production workflows.
Proving Canon is an innovative industry-leader that pushes the realms of optical technological possibilities, the EOS R5 offers every photographer – not just professionals – features previously seen only in high-end cinema cameras many times its price point and video features no other mirrorless camera on the market offers1. Created as a direct response to growing demand for content creators to shoot both high-quality film and stills, the EOS R5 holds its own in going over and above industry standards and achieving outstanding 8K2. On release in Australia, the EOS R5 will also be supported by Canon Australia’s 5-year warranty which is above the industry standard.
On the set of high-end productions such as commercials, dramas and documentaries, the EOS R5 is an ideal partner to the likes of Canon’s brand-new EOS C300 Mark III, a next generation modular Cinema EOS System camera launched today. In addition to the EOS R5’s outstanding still photography specifications, which make it ideal for behind the scenes capture, it’s an ideal support filming camera offering:
- • 8K RAW – non-cropped, internal recording up to 29.97fps
- • Non-cropped, internal recording 8K video capture – up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- • Non-cropped internal recording 4K video capture – up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- • 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ output via HDMI at 4K 59.94fps
- • Dual Pixel AF is available in all video modes at all resolutions and frame rates
- • 5-axis In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) and lens based Optical Image Stabilizer can be combined
- • Dual card slots – 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II
Jason McLean, Director – Consumer Imaging and Services, Canon Australia said: “Today we are excited to release further specs of the revolutionary EOS R5. This is the camera we’ve been waiting for and the one I believe our competitors hoped would never materialise. As the specs show, the EOS R5 is not the ‘fantasy’ that many speculated was too good to be true. On the contrary, the EOS R5 is a revolutionary camera that will enable content creators to go further than they ever expected. Its video capabilities alone are over and above anything available in a mirrorless camera before and will be accessible to creators broadly, both inside and outside the realm of professionals.”
Other EOS R5 specifications confirmed by Canon Inc. so far, in the camera’s two previous development announcements (13th February and 13th March 2020) include:
- • 8K and 4K modes will support Canon’s renowned Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- • The EOS R5 supports advanced animal AF – recognising dogs, cats and birds
- • The EOS R5 offers a step-change in performance with an incredible 12fps using the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter offering 20fps
- • The EOS R5 takes Canon’s cutting-edge image stabilisation technology to the next level, by including a newly Canon-developed, in-camera optical image stabilisation system – which works in combination with the lens stabilisation system
- • With content delivery just as important as image and video capture, the EOS R5 supports automatic transfer of image files from the device to the image.canon4 cloud platform
- • Upon launch, the Canon EOS R5 will also be supported by Canon Australia’s 5-year warranty when purchased from an authorised local dealer5.
For further information on the Canon EOS R5, please visit: www.canon.com.au/cameras/eos-r5