2017 photographer of the year presented by Panasonic - Terms And Conditions
The following categories are open to amateur photographers only:
• Black and White Photographer of the Year
• Landscape Photographer of the Year
• People and Portrait Photographer of the Year
• Photo of the Year
• Travel Photographer of the Year
• Wildlife and Animal Photographer of the Year
• Junior Photographer of the Year
For the purposes of this competition an amateur photographer is defined as someone who has not earned more than $4000 per year from stills photography in any 12 month period in the last five years, at the time of entry. This includes earnings from photo sales; photo education and tours; commercial work; and competition prize money.
2. Pro Photo of the Year is open to all photographers, irrespective of their professional status, subject to meeting other eligibility criteria.
3. Junior Photographer of the Year is open only to photographers aged under 18. To be eligible to win the Junior Photographer of the Year category the entrant must be aged 17 years old, or younger, on 15 November 2017.
4. Photographer of the Year 2017 is open to citizens of Australia and New Zealand and/or residents of Australia and New Zealand. In order to receive a prize, winners must supply an Australian or New Zealand mailing address. (For the purposes of this competition a resident is described as someone who has lived in Australia or New Zealand for at least one year at the time of entering this competition.)
5. Price is per entry. Entry fees are as follows:
Early bird: $20 (ends 31 August 2017)
Standard: $25 (1 September to 8 November 2017)
Late: $30 (9 November to 15 November 2017)
Junior category (open to photographers under 18): $10
6. To be eligible for the Junior category, the entrant must be under 18 on 15 November 2017.
7. Images must have been taken between 15 June 2016 and 14 November 2017. Images that have been entered in the 2016 Photographer of the Year competition will not be considered.
8. An entrant may enter as many times as he/she likes, however he/she may not enter the same image in multiple categories. For example, a black & white landscape image may be entered in either the 'Landscape' or 'Black & White' category, but not both.
9. For the purposes of this competition, 'wildlife and animal' is defined as all flora and fauna. For the purposes of this competition, 'Landscape' is defined as outdoor images of the natural and built environment. For the purposes of this competition 'Black & White' includes digital black-and-white conversions and 'toned' images (such as sepia, selenium, etc).
10. Digital manipulation: Adjustments may be made to cropping, noise, sharpness, colour, tone and contrast, including dodging and burning and black-and-white conversions. Stitched panoramas, focus stacks and HDR images are also allowed. The organisers reserve the right to disqualify an image if they feel it lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation.
11. The entrant must be the creator of any images he/she enters into the competition.
12. The entrant must be the copyright owner of any images he/she enters into the competition.
13. All post-production and editing must be the work of the entrant.
14. Each photographer retains copyright of his or her images. The entrant provides Australian Photography magazine with a limited-use authorisation to display, print, and distribute their photographs for the sole purpose of promoting Photographer of the Year. Images will be credited with the name of the photographer when used in any publicity of the competition.
15. Closing date for entries is midnight, Wednesday 15 November 2017.
16. Entry fees are non-refundable.
17. Images entered should be at least 2000px on the longest edge and no greater than 5MB.
18. Entries will be shortlisted by staff of Australian Photography published by Yaffa Media (ABN 54 002 699 354), 17-21 Bellevue Street, Surry Hills, Sydney.
19. A panel of professional photographers will judge the shortlisted entries and vote on a winner in each category and choose the overall Photographer of the Year from the category winners in each portfolio category.
20. The judges' decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
21. The winners, runners-up and finalists will be announced on www.australianphotography.com in February 2018 and published in the February 2018 edition of Australian Photography magazine.
22. The product prizes cannot be bartered and are not redeemable for cash.
23. By entering images into this competition the entrant guarantees to Yaffa Media that all of the above entry requirements have been met.
24. The entrant indemnifies Yaffa Media against any claim, legal or otherwise, that may arise out of publication of the images.
25. Employees of Yaffa Media Pty Ltd, including staff and current freelance writers, are not permitted to enter the competition.