2018 photographer of the year, presented by Panasonic - Terms And Conditions
1. All categories are open to amateur photographers only. For the purposes of this competition an amateur photographer is defined as someone who has not earned more than $4000 per year from stills photography in any 12 month period in the previous five years, dating from the time of entry. This includes earnings from photo sales; photo education and tours; commercial work; and competition prize money.
2. Photographer of the Year 2018 is open to citizens and residents of Australia and New Zealand. In order to receive a prize, winners must supply an Australian or New Zealand mailing address. (For the purposes of this competition a resident is described as someone who has lived in Australia or New Zealand for at least one year at the time of entering this competition.)
3. The ‘Junior' category is open to photographers aged 17 years old, or younger, at the time they submit their entry.
4. Images must have been taken after 1 June 2017.
5. Images that were entered in the 2017 Photographer of the Year competition are not eligible.
6. An entrant may enter as many times as he/she likes.
7. Employees of Yaffa Media Pty Ltd are not permitted to enter the competition.
8. Freelance writers and photographers who have been paid to contribute to Australian Photography or Capture since 14 June 2016 are not permitted to enter the competition.
9. All categories (except Junior)
Pre-early bird: $20 (ends 30 June 2018)
Early bird: $25 (1 July to 10 September 2018)
Standard: $30 (11 September to 31 October 2018)
Late: $39 (1 November to 14 November 2018)
Price is per portfolio (except in the Photo of the Year category where price is per image).
10. Junior Category (under 18 only)
Pre-early bird: $10 (ends 30 June 2018)
Early bird: $12 (1 July to 10 September 2018)
Standard: $15 (11 September to 31 October 2018)
Late: $20 (1 November to 14 November 2018)
Price is per portfolio.
11. Wildlife & Animal: For the purposes of this competition, ‘Wildlife and Animal' is defined as all flora and fauna. This includes wildlife, domestic and farm animals.
12. Landscape: For the purposes of this competition, 'Landscape' is defined as outdoor images of the natural and built environment.
13. Black & White: For the purposes of this competition 'Black & White' includes images photographed in black-and-white, as well as digital black-and-white conversions and 'toned' images (such as sepia, selenium, etc).
14. Aerial: For the purposes of this competition, ‘Aerial’ is defined as images taken from an obviously elevated position, including from an aircraft, drone (RPA), building or lookout.
15. People & Portrait: For the purposes of this competition, ‘Portrait & People’ is restricted to images of people. Portraits of animals should be entered in the 'Wildlife & Animal’ category.
16. Australian Photography supports the safe and legal operation of remotely piloted aircraft (RPAs), including drones. All entries captured with an RPA must comply with local rules and regulations. Any images suspected of being captured illegally will be disqualified. In order to be eligible for a prize, entrants must be able to provide verifiable EXIF data including drone type, position (latitude and longitude) and altitude information. Competition organisers reserve the right to disqualify any image they suspect may have been captured illegally.
17. Digital manipulation: Adjustments may be made to cropping, noise, sharpness, colour, tone and contrast, including dodging and burning and black-and-white conversions. Stitched panoramas, focus stacks and HDR images are also allowed. Competition organisers reserve the right to disqualify an image if they feel it lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation.
18. Any post-production and editing must be the work of the entrant.
19. Each photographer retains copyright of his or her images. The entrant provides Australian Photography a limited-use authorisation to display, print, and distribute their photographs for the sole purpose of promoting Photographer of the Year. Images will be credited with the name of the photographer if used by Australian Photography.
20. The entrant must be the creator of any images he/she enters into the competition. Any post-production and editing must be the work of the entrant.
21. The entrant must be the copyright owner of any images he/she enters into the competition.
22. Image format: Images must be in JPEG (.jpg) format
23. Image dimensions: Images entered must be at least 2000px on the longest edge
24. Image file size: Images must be no larger than 5MB.
25. Closing date for entries is midnight, Thursday 15 November 2018.
26. Entries will be shortlisted by staff of Australian Photography, published by Yaffa Media (ABN 54 002 699 354), 17-21 Bellevue Street, Surry Hills, Sydney.
27. A panel of leading photographers, selected by Australian Photography, will judge the shortlisted entries and vote on a winner in each category and choose the overall Photographer of the Year from the category winners in each portfolio category.
28. Judges' decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
29. Winners, runners-up and finalists will be announced on www.australianphotography.com in February 2019 and published in the February 2019 edition of Australian Photography magazine.
PANASONIC PHOTOGRAPHY EXPERIENCE
30. Seven (7) category winning entries, as determined by the judges, will win a two day (one night) immersive photography experience with Ken Duncan including economy flights from their nearest Australian capital city (or Auckland, Wellington or Christchurch) to Sydney on 30/03/2019 and return economy flights to their nearest capital city on 31/03/2019, most meals including lunch and dinner on 30/03/2019 and breakfast and lunch on the 31/03/2019, accommodation on the 30/03/2019 in a Resort View room at Crowne Plaza Terrigal, photography sessions on 30/03/2019 and 31/03/2019 (weather permitting) and transfers to and from Sydney Airport (The Prize).
31. If the prize (or part of the prize including the availability of Ken Duncan) is unavailable, the Promoter, in its discretion, reserves the right to substitute the prize (or that part of the prize) with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
32. The photography experience is valued at $2,500 per person. The experience or any unused portion, is not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash, unless otherwise specified.
WORLD PHOTO ADVENTURES TOUR
33. No cash refund is offered. No exchange of the tour to another event possible, unless agreed to by World Photo Adventures. Accommodation is twin share, or the winner can pay a single supplement. All tours are subject to available places. If a more expensive tour is chosen by the winner, they will need to pay the balance, including other travel costs. Ship tours are not included.
34. Product prizes are subject to availability, not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash. If a prize is unavailable, the competition organiser reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
35. The competition organiser takes no responsibility for prizes damaged or lost in transit.
36. Entry fees are non-refundable.
37. The entrant indemnifies Yaffa Media Pty Ltd against any claim, legal or otherwise, that may arise out of publication of the images.
38. By entering images into this competition the entrant guarantees to Yaffa Media that all of the above entry requirements have been met.