Photographer of the Year 2019, presented by Panasonic - Terms And Conditions
1. All categories are open to amateur photographers only. For the purposes of this competition an amateur photographer is defined as someone who has not earned more than $4000 from stills photography in any 12-month period in the previous five years, dating from the time of entry. This includes earnings from photo sales; photo education and tours; commercial work; and competition prize money.
2. Photographer of the Year is open to citizens and residents of Australia and New Zealand. In order to receive a prize, winners must supply an Australian or New Zealand mailing address. (For the purposes of this competition a resident is described as someone who has lived in Australia or New Zealand for at least one year at the time of entering this competition.)
3. The ‘Junior' category is open to photographers who are under 18 years old, at the time they submit their entry.
4. Images must have been taken on or after 1 June 2018. If the EXIF data attached to an image shows the image was captured before 1 June 2018 it will be deemed ineligible.
5. Images that were entered in Photographer of the Year 2018 are not eligible.
6. An entrant may enter as many times as he/she likes.
7. Employees of Yaffa Media Pty Ltd are not permitted to enter the competition.
8. Freelance writers and photographers who have been paid to contribute to Australian Photography or Capture since 14 June 2017 are not permitted to enter the competition.
9. All categories (except Junior)
Pre-early bird: $20 (5 June to 21 June 2019)
Early bird: $25 (22 June to 18 August 2019)
Standard: $30 (19 August to 21 October 2019)
Late: $39 (22 October to 7 November 2019)
Price is per portfolio (except in the Photo of the Year category where price is per image).
10. Junior Category (under 18 only)
Pre-early bird: $10 (5 June to 21 June 2019)
Early bird: $12 (22 June to 18 August 2019)
Standard: $15 (19 August to 21 October 2019)
Late: $20 (22 October to 7 November 2019)
Price is per portfolio.
11. Wildlife & Animal: For the purposes of this competition, ‘Wildlife and Animal' is defined as all flora and fauna. This includes wildlife, domestic and farm animals.
12. Landscape: For the purposes of this competition, 'Landscape' is defined as outdoor images of the natural and built environment.
13. Black & White: For the purposes of this competition 'Black & White' includes images photographed in black-and-white, as well as digital black-and-white conversions and 'toned' images (such as sepia, selenium, etc).
14. Action: For the purposes of this competition, ‘Action’ includes any photo of a moving subject (eg car, ferris wheel, surfer etc.). Images may be captured with a fast or slow shutter speed.
15. People & Portrait: For the purposes of this competition, ‘Portrait & People’ is restricted to images of people. Portraits of animals should be entered in the 'Wildlife & Animal’ category.
16. Australian Photography supports the safe and legal operation of remotely piloted aircraft (RPAs), including drones. All entries captured with an RPA must comply with local rules and regulations. Any images suspected of being captured illegally will be disqualified. In order to be eligible for a prize, entrants must be able to provide verifiable EXIF data including drone type, position (latitude and longitude) and altitude information. Competition organisers reserve the right to disqualify any image they suspect may have been captured illegally.
17. Digital manipulation: Adjustments may be made to cropping, noise, sharpness, colour, tone and contrast, including dodging and burning and black-and-white conversions. Stitched panoramas, focus stacks and HDR images, where two or more exposures are captured at the same location and merged to form a single image, are also allowed. With the exception of HDR images, panoramas, and focus stacked images, new elements may not be added to an image in post production. Competition organisers reserve the right to disqualify an image if they feel it lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation.
18. Any post-production and editing must be the work of the entrant.
19. Each photographer retains copyright of his or her images. The entrant provides Australian Photography a limited-use authorisation to display, print, and distribute their photographs for the sole purpose of promoting Photographer of the Year. Images will be credited with the name of the photographer if used by Australian Photography.
20. The entrant must be the creator of any images he/she enters into the competition.
21. The entrant must be the copyright owner of any images he/she enters into the competition.
22. Image format: Images must be in JPEG (.jpg) format
23. Image dimensions: Images entered must be at least 2000px on the longest edge
24. Image file size: Individual images must be no larger than 5MB.
25. Images must not include watermarks or other branding. The competition organiser reserves the right to disqualify any entry with a watermark or other branding.
26. Closing date for entries is midnight (AEDT), Thursday 7 November 2019.
27. Entries will be shortlisted by staff of Australian Photography, published by Yaffa Media (ABN 54 002 699 354), 17-21 Bellevue Street, Surry Hills, Sydney.
28. A panel of leading photographers, selected by Australian Photography, will judge the shortlisted entries and vote on a winner in each category and choose the overall Photographer of the Year from the category winners in each portfolio category.
29. Judges' decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
30. Winners, runners-up and finalists will be announced on www.australianphotography.com in February 2020 and published in the February 2020 edition of Australian Photography magazine.
31. Product prizes are subject to availability, not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash. If a prize is unavailable, the competition organiser reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize to the equal value and/or specification.
32. The competition organiser takes no responsibility for prizes damaged or lost in transit.
33. Entry fees are non-refundable.
34. The entrant indemnifies Yaffa Media Pty Ltd against any claim, legal or otherwise, that may arise out of publication of images.
35. Yaffa Media Pty Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any entry deemed to be in breach of the above Terms and Conditions.
36. By entering images into this competition the entrant guarantees to Yaffa Media Pty Ltd that all of the above Terms and Conditions have been met. Any entry found to breach the above Terms and Conditions will be disqualified and all prize money and product prizes must be returned to Yaffa Media Pty Ltd.
37. Yaffa Media Pty Ltd reserves the right to take legal action against anyone found to have breached the above Terms and Conditions.